Doesn't it always seem that as things start to thaw outside, it makes you want to change everything inside? Blame it on spring cleaning, spring fever, or the simple fact that you have been stuck inside all winter and are tired of looking at the same things over and over again! This time of year can lure you into breaking your budget with those couple of "must-have" updates. So how do you ease your spring fever while still maintaining your financial plans? Here are some ideas!
- Have a "Make it Work" moment!
- Often times we get tired of the WAY we have things in our home rather than getting tired of the actual things. This is a huge difference! Try rearranging your furniture or switching around some of your decorations. These small changes may make a huge difference!
- Get our your elbow grease!
- A well spent Saturday can make you feel like you live in a new house! A good deep cleaning and/or organizing can bring a lot of life to a home. If that isn't working, a coat of paint can bring huge change while still being easy to accomplish. Don't want to take on painting a whole room? Consider painting just one accent wall. It will change the whole room!
- Look for Potential!
- This can be one of your greatest budget tools! Look a little closer at your coffee table, maybe all it needs is a makeover to become beautiful again. Rather than ditching your current stuff, see if there is a way that you can repurpose it to create new things for cheap. Plus, in the end you will have something that you can be proud of rather then something you just bought at the store! Not sure where to start? Use Google Image Search or Pinterest to find some great pictures of projects to get started (many of them have step by step tutorials as well!) And don't be afraid to get out the saw, hammer and nails and try your hand at building!
If you have gone through your house and cleaned from top to bottom, rearranged the furniture and rebuilt your old dresser into a great buffet but you are still feeling a need for new, here is a best tip I know...
- Buy Used!
- This is the best way to save money in purchasing new (to you) home decorations. Remember, one man's trash is another man's treasure! Check out your local resale shops, flea markets, rummage sales, auctions, etc. These are all great places to get items to make cheap updates. Remember tip #3 while searching for new treasure. Sometime your treasure is buried a little under someone else's dirt... but who doesn't like finding buried treasure!
Here is our last tip that can help you recuperate some of your expenses...
- Sell Used!
- Bringing in new things should always push out old things! Cluttering up your home is not going to help you feel updated and fresh; it will make you feel claustrophobic. Consider having a rummage sale, or selling things at a consignment shop. This is a great way to not only de-clutter your home a little but to make some money while you are doing it! There are lots of great resources online on running a successful rummage sale.
So there you have it! A few easy ideas that will help you beat spring fever without emptying your wallet. Now if we can only get spring to stay around...